The Lady of Clan MacKinley by Cecelia Mecca | ARC Review

Series: Highland Lovers, #1
Traits & Tropes: instalove; forbidden; titled hero; highlanders
Publication Date: 06.12.23
Genre/Setting: Historical; Medieval, Scottish Highlands, 1200s
Heat Level: 3
Rating: 5 stars!
 

Thirty years ago, a devastating battle nearly wiped out Clan MacKinlay, ending their years-long feud with Clan Duncraig. Now the Duncraig chief’s son, Niall, has been charged with visiting their enemy’s castle to investigate why their cattle are grazing on Duncraig land. There he meets Lady Avelina MacKinlay and their attraction is immediate. Despite their clans’ enemy status, affection grows between Niall and Lina, but their path to s future together is uncertain. Avelina’s brother refuses to see Niall as anything other than an enemy, leaving Avelina with difficult decisions to make as she and Niall fight for their happiness together whilst trying to avoid destroying their families.

This book is definitely helping to pull me out of my reading slump. For the first time in ages, I wanted to stay up and finish it rather than doing something else as part of my night time wind down. I loved that, despite all the different barriers working against Lina and Niall, they never waived. They were straightforward with one another and played no games, just admitted their feelings, and got straight down to fighting to be together. I loved that and wish we got more of it in romance, rather than so many stories relying on misunderstandings and miscommunication. I really enjoyed this couple’s story, but I’m looking forward even more to Kieran’s story now.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/960447298
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/5714388701



Comments