Curled Up with an Earl by Amy Rose Bennett | ARC & Audio Review

Series: The Byronic Book Club, #2
Traits & Tropes: spies; former soldier; bluestocking/scientist heroine; spinster; hidden identity
Publication Date: 02.07.23
Genre/Setting: Historical; Victorian; Hampstead Heath, Summer 1858
Heat Level: 4
Rating: 4.5/5
Narration Rating: 4/5

Miss Lucy Bertram is happy to spend her time with a gothic romance novel or working on botany papers as her scholarly father’s research assistant. She’s definitely not one for society, so when her eccentric father, Sir Oswald, starts trying to foist a wealthy industrialist on her as a way to save their family from his own poor financial decisions, Lucy knows she must do something. If her brother, Monty, were around he’d help her, but since he’s been disowned by their father, finding him means venturing into the rookeries of St. Giles.

William Lockhart, the Earl of Kyle, has been working as an undercover agent for the Crown. His latest case, the search for a killer out to destroy the Linnean Society, has brought him to Sir Oswald’s door. Since he is an expert on botanical poisons, Sir Oswald is the top suspect in the case, so Will is posing as a groom in the man’s household in an attempt to gather enough evidence for Scotland Yard to make an arrest before anyone else is murdered. His mission would be much easier if he wasn’t so distracted by Lucy.

Neither expects the connection that sparks to life between them, but neither Lucy nor Will can deny that they feel something. As secrets come to light, Will and Lucy must work together to get to the bottom of the murders if they want a chance at a happily-ever-after together.

This was just the low-angst romance with a bit of mystery that I tend to enjoy. Romantic suspense is what got me into reading romance in the first place so I’m usually thrilled when there’s some sort of mystery for the MCs to solve, especially when they wind up working together against an external threat as was the case in this book. Will and Lucy made an excellent team and I loved how open and honest he was with her despite this being a hidden identity trope. He kept only what he had to from her and soon brought her into his confidence so it never felt like he was being untruthful with her and made their relationship feel like a real partnership. Lucy was a bit immature sometimes, especially for her age, but thankfully not often and she was happily very aware of herself and what she wanted, even when that changed from what she’d always thought her goal would be. She was quick to rearrange her goals and listen to her heart and her feelings for Will and was open with him about them, which I loved. These two came together with little fuss or angst and that’s always fantastic for me as I personally prefer external conflict.

I was fortunate to be able to both read this book and listen to the audio, which helped when I got to the point that I didn’t want to put it down. My only complaint is that the narrator has quite a high-pitched voice and it made Lucy seem younger and more immature and naïve at times. She also mispronounced some words that caused me a bit of confusion and some that I just found a bit irksome, for instance wanton was pronounced like wonton. Otherwise, the audio was still great and helped me stay invested in the story.

I loved Will and Lucy as a couple and I was very much here for their open communication. As much as I enjoyed the first book in this series, this one was even better for me and I look forward to the next story.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book and its audiobook. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/1044306459
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/5014964345





Comments