A Clan of Her Own by Cecelia Mecca | ARC Review

Series: Brotherhood of the Border, #2
Traits & Tropes: captured hero, rescued by heroine; road trip; soldier hero
Publication Date: 12.15.21
Genre/Setting: Historical; Medieval; English/Scottish border;
Heat Level: 2
Rating: 5 stars!

After sacrificing himself so William Wallace could escape, Galien Kerr is facing the day he has dreaded since joining the cause. He always knew his position might see him killed, but now, imprisoned in the dungeon of an English baron, it seems that day is coming sooner than he imagined. Galien has little chance of escape until the appearance of the baron’s daughter changes everything.

Lady Reina offers a trade: she’ll free that handsome prisoner if he’ll provide her with answers about her own mysterious past. She knows her father and her king will be furious, but if she leaves the prisoner to die, the answers she’s so desperate for will be lost along with him.

Reina settles into a tense alliance with Galien as the two travel together to find safety with his clan. The bond between them grows even as it is threatened by the unraveling of the truth about Reina’s past and Galien’s loyalty to Scotland’s struggle for independence.

This book came up on my TBR just as my family suffered a tragic loss and I must say it was just the right story for the moment. In times of tension, I was able to dive into Galien and Reina’s journey for a bit of a respite from the chaos going on around me and it helped immensely. I loved that despite the fraught situation they were in, Galien and Reina rapidly came to trust one another and their openness with each other made this a great read for me. I enjoyed the fact that they were so straightforward with their truths and their feelings for one another. Ultimately, they were both searching for their place to belong and the fact that they found that together warmed my heart. For me, this was another hit and I’m looking forward to Rory’s story.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/1765925093
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4374686201



Comments