A Wolf in Duke's Clothing by Susanna Allen | Audio Review

Series: Shapeshifters of the Beau Monde: #1
Traits & Tropes: fated mates; titled hero; kidnapping; wallflower heroine
Publication Date: 04.27.21
Genre/Setting: Historical/Paranormal; London/Surrey, England, 1817
Heat Level: 3
Rating: 3/5
Narration Rating: 3/5

Alfred Blakesley, the Duke of Lowell, has long been considered strange and unapproachable by the Ton but no one dares treat him with rudeness. They’d all be very shocked to learn that one of society’s most eligible bachelors is a wolf shifter. He’s been searching for his one true mate for a long time and his pack’s future depends on him securing a love match.

Felicity Templeton has done her best to render herself unappealing to prospective suitors. If she can remain unmarried another two weeks until her 25th birthday, she’ll inherit the fortune of her father’s barony. But Alfred is determined to make her his and despite her resistance, she finds him very hard to deny.

I decided to give this audio a try when my library got it just to have something a little different since I don’t read much paranormal. I enjoyed it fine, but the narrator was a bit off-putting for me much of the time and I found some of the key premises here to be a bit far-fetched even for a fantasy story. I’ve seen many reviews disliking the hero for being too pushy, but I think he was just utterly clueless and while I didn’t particularly like him, this was a little charming. Felicity didn’t work for me as a heroine. Yes, her slimy uncle and cousins did wrong her grievously, but she still somehow came off as a spoiled brat. She complains initially that her social status is too low to merit a duke’s notice and he couldn’t possibly be truly interested in her. Then she later complains about the duke’s proposal, saying it’s not up to the standard a lady of her rank deserves. Then she laments several times about not being young anymore, which at 25 is ludicrous, especially given her immaturity. I’m fine with a strong heroine, but Felicity didn’t fit the story much at all and her chill reaction to Alfred’s revelations just left me incredulous. I wanted more depth from both Alfred and Felicity that just wasn’t shown enough to satisfy me. The concept was new and intriguing but I’m not sure I’ll continue the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4037672902
https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/4156103557



Comments