Dark Angel by Adele Clee | ARC Review

Series: Gentlemen of the Order, #4
Traits & Tropes: tortured hero; damaged heroine; investigators; reformed rake
Publication Date: 03.22.21
Genre/Setting: Historical; London, England
Heat Level: 2
Rating: 5 stars!

Since his parents were brutally murdered before his eyes when he was a young boy, Dante D’Angelo has dedicated his adult life to uncovering the truth of that night. His work with the Order as an inquiry agent gives him the perfect opportunity to investigate his personal matter on the side. When a fraud case brings forth a connection between their suspect and the murder of his parents, Dante is wholly consumed with bringing the culprit to justice. The wrench in his plan is the Order’s first female agent, a lovely woman who’s been assigned to the same case.

Beatrice Sands has her own reasons for joining the Order, besides just needing an income. She must work with Dante and help him find his parents’ murderer if she hopes to gain closure for herself. Dante is handsome but consumed with rage and bitterness. He’s dangerous and unpredictable but Beatrice can see the depth of pain hiding beneath his cold exterior. She must prove herself as an agent and gain his trust to achieve her goals but as their relationship strengthens, she wonders if she might be able to heal him as well.

Connected by a past tragedy, the friendship between Dante and Beatrice rapidly develops into something much deeper, but for a main who never thought to have a future, hope for happiness and love is utterly foreign and possibly unattainable.

Yet another hit for me from the Gentlemen of the Order. Dante wasn’t my favorite when he was a secondary character.  His recklessness was a bit off-putting then, though understandable given his background. I absolutely loved him here. Getting the details of his painful past and the depths of his character, especially as seen by Beatrice, made him impossible not to love. Beatrice and Dante both had many layers to unpack and issues to face and I loved how they helped each other through the darkness. The banter between Dante and Beatrice was some of the best I’ve read; it was genuinely entertaining to read but also such an endearing way for them to get to know each other pretty quickly and give their relationship some foundation beyond their shared trauma. I also loved the fact that Dante didn’t really fight his deepening feelings for Beatrice but boldly asked her for more even though he was afraid. He was much sweeter than I would’ve expected, and I also loved how he treated Beatrice as an equal and valued her insight. The mystery woven in with the romance was so strong and kept me engaged, as Adele does so well. I adored the final scene with all the Order members and their wives together, though I was nervous for this one as I wasn’t ready to see the series end. I’m thrilled we won’t be saying goodbye to the Order just yet and I can’t wait for the Ladies of the Order.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/3324263389
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3705783790



Comments