Series: The Scarlet Chronicles, #1
Tropes & Traits: titled hero & heroine; suspense/danger
Publication Date: 01.15.19
Genre/Setting: Historical; Regency; France
Rating: 5 stars
Viscount Hugh Daventry is in France to further his family's wine importation interests and, as a favor to her sister, he also plans to visit a house party hosted by Angelette, Comtesse d'Avignon, and do all he can to convince her to return to England with him and flee the unrest and brewing violence in Paris before it spreads. But when he arrives at her home in Versailles, it is as if he has entered a different world. Angelette and her aristocratic friends are either unaware or completely in denial about the danger they are in and refuse to heed Hugh's warnings. Angelette refuses to come with him and, though he continues to try to convince her, she is more interested in ensuring the success of her first event since the end of her widow's mourning period after the death of her husband. Despite being presented with logical arguments, the naïve countess insists on remaining in France, believing any unrest will be put down. When the violence makes its way to her own home, sooner than even Hugh anticipated, Angelette is forced to open her eyes. Yet even after fleeing her home with Hugh, she continues to insist upon remaining in France, so Hugh decides he's given it his best shot and has no reason not to make good his own escape back to England. Although France is her adopted country, Angelette feels she can do something to get justice for her friends and warn others. By the time she realizes the situation is more dangerous than she thought, she finds her own life in peril and herself separated from Hugh, who she labels a coward. But Hugh is trying his best to keep her alive and get her to safety, it just may not be enough.
I loved how this began as a story being told by a father to his son. Of course the son thinks his parents are boring and stuffy and doesn't know what to make of his father's outrageous tale. I thought this was a nice touch. This story kept me in suspense and although I wanted to bash Angelette over the head at times, it worked out well in the end and I couldn't put the book down until I'd finished. I would highly recommend this as a quick and suspenseful read with enough adventure and romance to keep everyone engrossed till the end.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I loved how this began as a story being told by a father to his son. Of course the son thinks his parents are boring and stuffy and doesn't know what to make of his father's outrageous tale. I thought this was a nice touch. This story kept me in suspense and although I wanted to bash Angelette over the head at times, it worked out well in the end and I couldn't put the book down until I'd finished. I would highly recommend this as a quick and suspenseful read with enough adventure and romance to keep everyone engrossed till the end.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2584618880?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

Comments
Post a Comment