An Enemy at the Highland Court by Celeste Barclay | ARC Review

Series: The Highland Ladies, #5
Traits & Tropes: enemies to lovers
Genre/Setting: Historical, Scottish Highlands, 1300s
Publication Date: 06.15.20
Rating: 4/5 stars
Heat Rating: 4/5

With a French mother of Mediterranean descent, Lowland-raised Cairren Kennedy has never quite fit in at the court of King Robert the Bruce, even after three years there. When she learns that the king has commanded her marriage to a Highlander, Cairren is afraid of the discrimination and sneers she’ll once again face as she’s forced to make a home amid complete strangers.

Padraig Munro has always known who he’d marry and though the match is in line with his parents’ expectations, it is to a woman he thinks himself in love with. So Padraig is suitably shocked when he learns of King Robert’s decree that he wed Cairren Kennedy, a lady who couldn’t be further from his idea of the ideal Highland lass. But Clan Munro needs funds and Padraig knows his duty, though he’s determined to keep his heart guarded from his unwanted wife. The Munros refuse to accept or respect Cairren and Padraig feels honor bound to protect his gentle new wife, leaving him caught in the middle between her and his family’s expectations.

Though they have passion and a clear connection when alone, Cairren and Padraig can’t be together any other time without winding up in an argument, so soon they wind up avoiding each other as much as possible during the daytime hours. But when the clan’s harsh resentment of Cairren endangers her life, Padraig can no longer ignore his clan’s hostility. Soon they must both examine their feelings and determine just who the true enemy is, preferably before their chance at happiness is ruined.

I have some very mixed feelings about this one. Cairren and Padraig did wind up being very sweet together but I think this happened a bit too late in the book for me and the other woman drama went on too long. Much like Cairren, I had lost respect and faith in Padraig, but unlike her, I couldn’t forgive and forget quite so easily. Although, I will say Padraig does deserve credit for a good deal of character development. Cairren was a much better woman than I am and let Padraig off much easier than I could have. Everything Cairren had to go through was just heart wrenching and she was an incredibly strong heroine to handle it all with such grace. Overall, I really did enjoy this book and look forward to more from this series.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

53479534. sy475

53479534. sy475

Comments