The Virgin and the Rogue by Sophie Jordan | ARC Review

Series: The Rogue Files, #6
Traits & Tropes: reformed rake, illegitimate hero, starched heroine
Publication Date: 04.28.20
Genre/Setting: Historical; Regency; England
Rating: 4/5 stars


Starched and proper Charlotte Langley is the safe and rather boring sister and her siblings aren't surprised to see her engaged to her safe and boring childhood sweetheart. But when her sister makes her a tonic to help with cramps, it instead provokes her to a state of desire she doesn't know what to do with, especially since her feelings are not directed toward her betrothed.

Kingston has always been a rake, much like his father, but now he's determined to change his ways. He's not sure where to take himself to escape society and the best place he can think of is his stepbrother's remote country estate. He's rather surprised to find his stepbrother now has a family and is even more shocked to find himself alone and seduced by an engaged female whom he thought to be meek and insipid.

Kingston soon realizes Charlotte has a more passionate nature than even she realizes. He wants more of her, but Charlotte is determined that anything between them was only down to her sister's tonic, not her actual feelings and Kingston isn't having it. He just has to determine exactly what he wants and how far he's willing to get it, along with showing Charlotte what she really wants.

Firstly, this is possibly my favorite cover ever. I've rounded my rating up because I liked the hero, but the premise of this book was completely bananas with the weird aphrodisiac and straight-laced, prickly heroine. I did love the fact that Kingston had been celibate for so long before Charlotte and his description of her waking him up so to speak was great. He was really very likable and his story wound up being heartrending and emotional. Charlotte, however, just struck me as being a bit one dimensional, which I suppose matched her description for most of the book. She did grow quite a lot, but I wanted to see her owning her feelings more honestly and for more of the book than she actually did; when she started standing up for herself it just made her seem more unemotional somehow and at a time when she should've been growing more and more comfortable with her feelings. It was like her development seized a bit. I would've liked to see her open herself up more to Kingston as I felt their relationship was a bit one-sided on his part and similarly, I would've liked to see some sort of friendship forming between Kingston and Nathaniel. Overall, I quite liked the illegitimate, reformed rake hero and I liked these two together. I'll continue with the series and look forward to Nora's story.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2934368451

45169230

Comments