A Reckless Runaway by Jess Michaels | ARC Review

Series: The Shelley Sisters, #2
Traits & Tropes: forced proximity; illegitimate hero
Publication Date: 02.04.20
Genre/Setting: Historical; Regency; England
Rating: 4 stars!

Anne Shelley has lived up to her reputation as the wildest of the Shelley triplets by eloping with a scandalous man to avoid her unwanted engagement. But rather than Gretna Green, her intended takes her to his cousin, Rook Maitland, and leaves her with him on a remote Scottish island. Rook knows his cousin well enough to doubt he'll ever return for Anne. As Rook and Anne spend more time together they each find themselves increasingly attracted to the other. When Anne asks Rook to help her get back to her family, the forced proximity of travel ignites the spark between them, but his cousin's scheming means Anne and her family are now in more danger than any of them could've guessed.

I really enjoyed this book. Anne and her impulsiveness annoyed me a bit in the previous book, but less so in this one as I came to understand her better. I loved Rook as the gruff, bad boy hero with a gentle soul and a dark past. I thought these two were so sweet together and this was surprisingly emotional. I can't wait for Juliana's story now.

Small sidenote: as a lifelong horse person, it was annoying to keep reading that Anne nickered to her horse to get it to walk on. No. Horses nicker, you can click or cluck to them but they nicker. Not you. This is just something I happen to know from having horses my whole life though and probably not something that will bother anyone else, but that an editor should catch.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3119976667
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7pAndSAIAk/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link




Comments