Engaged to the Earl by Lisa Berne | ARC Review

Series: The Penhallow Dynasty, #4
Traits & Tropes: slow burn
Publication Date: 02.25.20
Genre/Setting: Historical; Regency; England
Heat Level: 2/5
Rating: 2 slow stars.

After several years living abroad, Christopher Beck has returned to England and finds himself circulating through fashionable London society. He's surprised to find that his childhood neighbor, Gwendolyn Penhallow, has transformed from an imaginative, whimsical young girl into a beautiful, poised woman. Too bad she's engaged to the Earl of Westenbury and it seems Christopher has returned from his adventures a bit too late.

Gwendolyn considers herself lucky to be engaged to the most perfect man and about to begin a perfect, fairytale life. But with Christopher's re-entrance into her life, Gwendolyn begins to question her decisions and her thoughts and feelings about those around her, it just remains to be seen whether or not she'll be able to do anything about her confused emotions.

This was my first read from this author and boy was it strange to me. It was very well-written, but it didn't feel much at all like a romance. For the majority of the book I really felt like nothing happened at all and if some event did occur, it involved the side characters rather than the hero and heroine. Speaking of whom, the side characters, with the exception of perhaps the duchess, included some awful people who never seemed to receive any kind of reckoning for their poor behavior. We don't really see Christopher and Gwendolyn spend much time together, either as children or adults, rather we're told that they do, then time passes, still without anything much happening and we're told they're together and in love now. I never felt any sexual tension or connection between these two, perhaps because of that lack of time together and the fact that we see Gwen spend time, on the page, with her original fiance, the earl, for most of the book. I know the melodrama, slow pace, and lack of much real interaction between the hero and heroine didn't work for me and I never connected to them so I had to slog through this one.

This was my first read by this author and I had purchased this book's predecessor when it was on sale last month because I really thought I'd like this one so I'll at least go back and read that one at some point and hope this one was just a fluke.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3170665306


Comments