A Duke Is Never Enough by Darcy Burke | ARC Review

Series: The Spitfire Society, #2
Tropes & Traits: friends to lovers; reformed rake; independently wealthy heroine
Publication Date: 02.25.20
Genre/Setting: Historical; Regency; London, England
Rating: 5 stars!

Marcus Raleigh, the Marquess of Ripley, has a terrible reputation for being a rake and a libertine. He doesn't much mind, even if his exploits are a bit exaggerated. His current focus is on finding his despicable cousin, Archibald Drobbit, whom he's just learned is a duplicitous swindler. Marcus is determined to learn the extent of Drobbit's crimes and ensure restitution is made, but his attempts at civilized conversation end in a fist fight in a public park. The only bright spot in the whole mess is that Marcus meets a truly beguiling woman and finds himself, for the first time in his life, utterly smitten.

Phoebe Lennox has set herself up as an independent spinster since she jilted her cheating scoundrel of a fiance and inherited a fortune of her own. She won't risk worsening her reputation for any sort of relationship with a man, but all that changes when she meets the Marquess of Ripley. Their chemistry and connection is undeniable and things rapidly heat up between them, despite the fact that neither expected to ever marry, or have any sort of permanent relationship. But when his cousin is murdered, Marcus becomes the focus of the investigation and any potential for permanency between himself and Phoebe could be dashed when the truth comes out.

For some odd reason, it took a bit for me to get into this one, but I think that was all me and not the book. This was a great read and I really loved Phoebe and Marcus as a couple. She was so mature and sensible and I loved her for it. Marcus was surprising sweet and caring, especially given his awful reputation, and he delivered some very swoonworthy dialogues. This one also had steam by the boatload and I'm here for it. I really can't wait for Jane and Anthony's story now; if anyone can write a great reformed rake, it's certainly Darcy.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2964492394


Comments